Friday, July 23, 2010

What the fuck is bogmyrtle?

I'm usually not a total fan of fruit beers. I'm sure they're all excellent brews. I'm sure some people absolutely just love fruit beers. Me: not so much.

This, however, is really good. Especially for a wheat beer.
It's refreshing. It's tasty. It's light on the hops, but that allows the subtle (almost non-existent) gooseberry flavor to come through. Any more hops, and this sucker'd have no fruit flavor at all. The malty base is definitely in the foreground, but the gooseberry has a presence. I imagine after the third or fourth of these, it'd be quite noticeable.

It'd be easy to drink three or four, too, as it is only about 5% alcohol.

Along with the grozet (which is, apparently, another name for the gooseberry), this beer is made with malted barley (duh, that's what makes it beer), bree, wheat, gooseberries, bogmyrtle, meadowsweet, and hops.

I don't know what it is I'm drinking, but I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment